The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) National Science Bowl® is a nationwide academic competition that tests students' knowledge in all areas of science. High school and middle school students are quizzed in a fast paced question-and-answer format similar to Jeopardy. Competing teams from diverse backgrounds are comprised of four students, one alternate, and a teacher who serves as an advisor and coach.
- Teams are comprised of four or five students.
- Each regional competition will be eligible to send one team to represent its sponsoring entity at the National Science Bowl event in Washington, D.C.
- Regional science bowls are held in January, February and March at Department of Energy facilities and other select federal agency and education institutions nationwide.
- Each regional winning team's expenses for travel as well as accommodations and organized activities at the national competition are included.
- The plan is to field two teams: one Varsity and one JV.